Tri-County Services


How does the intake process work?

Once our access and screening staff receive a call from an individual, family or legally authorized person, we will gather some demographic information from you and begin the intake process.

How do I obtain testing for my family member?

If the individual is school age, a request to the school for testing should be done in writing.  We are able to test individuals who are of school age, and the school does not have to accept the testing that is completed.  Our psychologist is not contracted with the school to complete their testing. If there are existing records from the school, we can have the information endorsed by our contract psychologist.  If we deem it necessary for our psychologist to test the individual, we will coordinate a time with the family and it is completed at no cost.

My family member was tested several years ago.  When do we need to complete testing again? 

- Once an individual is tested and has a diagnosis of mental retardation and/or a related condition, testing for a diagnosis does not need to be completed again.  The program may request to re-administer the IQ portion of the testing, but the diagnosis will not change.

- To have a diagnosis of mental retardation, the onset must have occurred before the individual turns 18, and there needs to be a documented social history of special education or special needs.

What services are available for children with autism?

- We have an autism program for individuals who have been diagnosed with autism or asperger’s syndrome.

- This program is a training program that teaches the individuals, parents and teachers the skills to work with an individual with behavioral needs. This training can occur in the home, community or school setting.  The individual needs to be a part of Tri-County Services to be enrolled into the program.

What IDD services does Tri-County provide?

The IDD program offers services and supports to assist the individual to remain living in a family or their own home.  These supports include job assistance, learning to cook, shop, and how to take care of household needs, as well as learning daily living skills.  Our programs can occur in a group setting or in a one-on-one situation.

How do I start the process of placement?

If you are interested in placement for yourself or your family member, you can call our intake line at (936) 521-6200 and speak to them in regards to your placement needs.  A staff person from our continuity of care unit will begin assisting you through the placement process.

What is the HCS interest list?

The HCS interest list is a listing of the individuals that are interested in Home and Community Based Services. This list is for Liberty, Montgomery and Walker Counties and is maintained by Tri-County staff.  The Tri-County list feeds into the statewide list of individuals that are interested in the program.

If I move out of the local area, what happens to my HCS slot?

The HCS program covers all of the state of Texas, so if you are enrolled in the program and move out of the local area, the slot moves with you.  You would transfer to a provider that covers the county you are moving to.  If you are on the HCS interest list, Tri-County will work with the local authority agency that covers the county you are moving to and transfer your interest list to that agency.

Who do I need to notify if my address or phone number have changed, but I still live in the same county?

You need to contact our intake department at (936) 521-6200 and let us know of your current information.  It is important that we are able to contact you each year to verify your interest in remaining on the HCS list.

How do I find out who my service coordinator is?

You can call our intake number at (936) 521-6200 and they will be able to let you know that information.

How often will I have to meet with my service coordinator?

You can elect to meet with your service coordinator as often as monthly or on a quarterly basis.  This is determined by your level of need and how much coordination is required by your service coordinator.

Where do I meet with my service coordinator?

You can meet with your service coordinator in any location that meets your needs; we are able to meet in the home, at school, in our office, or a community setting.  Often times it is helpful to meet with your service coordinator in our office setting, since there are several documents which need to be signed.


What is respite?

Respite is a funding source that will pay for someone to take care of an individual with a disability.  This program can only be used for short term relief of the primary caregiver. The primary caregiver will locate a provider on their own because the respite program does not provide an individual to complete this service. The program will then provide reimbursement to the primary caregiver.

How do I receive respite?

You need to meet with your service coordinator to sign a respite plan.

How many respite hours can I receive?

The amount of hours available changes periodically.  Your service coordinator can explain the total amount of respite that is available to you.

How often can I request respite?

Respite requests are accepted monthly, on a first come, first served basis.

What type of employment services can you offer?

Tri-County offers assistance with obtaining and maintaining paid employment in a career chosen by the individual.  Services are also offered in the area of resume development, application training and interview skills.  Once employment has been obtained, a job coach can assist with orientation to the new job and on the job training.

What are the requirements to qualify for supported employment services?

The individual seeking employment must be at least 22 and have the desire to work.

Do supported employment services provide transportation?

Supported employment staff are not permitted to provide transportation to and from work.  Staff can only assist in transportation during the job seeking period.

What day habilitation services does Tri-County provide?

Tri-County provides day habilitation in a group setting at one of Tri-County’s Life Skills programs.  Individuals are assessed and have a person directed plan developed which indicates the area of training required.  Day habilitation generally runs Monday through Friday of every week.

What community support services does Tri-County offer?

Community supports are offered in the individual’s home or a community setting.  The staff works on skills the individual needs to remain independent in a community setting.  Individuals are assessed and have a person directed plan developed which indicates the area of training required.